Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Long Lost Update!




It has been nearly a year since I registered for school and at least 6 months since I updated my blog!  A lot has happened but I'll start with my class last fall.

In a previous post, I listed all the books/short stories that I had to read for class.  I had to write a 1 page paper every week about one of the stories we had read.  I also had 3 larger papers I had to write, the last one being about 6 pages long and a good portion of my grade.  I was really nervous about writing papers since it had been such a long time, but with the editing help that my husband provided, I managed to get A's on all my papers.

The class was really fun.  The teacher was great, and my classmates were all very fun to be with. 

What did I learn from my experience in the fall?

1. Old habits die hard!   I figured as I was much more mature now and that I understood the value of a dollar, I would be a much better student than when I was at 19.....not so.   I am a poor time manager and still seem to procrastinate homework.  Never in my life had cleaning the house fall at the top of my "to-do" list than this last fall when I had papers to write.  I only took one class (twice a week), I wasn't working, and all my children were in school for 8 hours and yet every Monday I was sweating over the computer trying to eek out a paper.  I will say that I never procrastinated reading! :)

2.  There really isn't a cleaning fairy that lives in my house!  Apparently if I don't clean, things stay dirty.  I got a little overwhelmed with helping the kids with school work and my own school work and reading that much of the house was left to its own devices.  I managed to keep everyone in clean clothes (barely) and we managed to eat off clean dishes (if I actually made dinner) but if we weren't wearing it, eating it, or company wasn't coming over, it didn't get cleaned.

3. School is a lot of money.  My one (3 credit hours) class costs me $1400 dollars--not including the books and I quickly found out that working to pay for school will be the  best option.  I had planned on going to school winter semester but as I didn't have a job lined up yet, I decided to put school on hold until this coming fall so I can get a job and save up some money.

4.  Old habits die hard (part II).  I am a complete bibliophile!!  I love owning books, and I love having a little library of my own.  My husband went with me to get my books from the University bookstore, while I was in line to pay for my literature anthology textbook, and the two novels that were required reading, I turned to my husband and said, "You realize I won't be returning these books, right? They are mine now."  With a roll of his eyes, he nodded his head.  No doubt this was not a surprise to him. (Just ask him about the boxes of books he had to move into our new house!)











Things will be a little different this coming fall as my twins (K&C) will be starting junior high and my youngest (M) will be going back to a year-round school schedule in elementary.  Because of this change, specifically, I'll be taking on-line courses this coming year.  The first one up this fall is "Intro to English Grammar".  I can only imagine how this class alone will change my everyday life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment